Monday, October 10, 2011

THE NUTRITIOUS BREADFRUIT!

         There is an abundance of breadfruit in my area of Jamaica at this time and my family and I have been enjoying a lot of roast breadfruit.  Over the years Janine and I have enjoyed many meals with this fruit. We particularly liked it with our national dish, ackee and saltfish. Below is  a picture of some of the roast breadfruit that my family and I have been enjoying:
     No sooner than I was thrilled to see this fruit in season again I got a FORWARD EMAIL with this information:-
    "Breadfruit has the health benefit of providing high energy to those who eat it through its carbohydrates that the body needs for warmth and maintenance during daily activities. Not only is breadfruit a rich source of energy, breadfruit also contains significantly high amounts of fiber. According to the American Heart Association fiber decreases bad cholesterol and triglycerides which increase heart attack risks. An increased intake of fiber lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol levels in the body, while elevating HDL (good) cholesterol levels in the body. Breadfruit protects the body against heart disease and heart attacks. 
     Additionally, the fiber found in breadfruit can help those with diabetes to control the disease. Research shows that fiber can control diabetes by reducing the absorption of glucose from the food we eat.
     Another health benefit of breadfruit is that breadfruit helps to make our intestines and bowels work properly. Fiber regulates bowel movements and clears out the buildup of junk from our intestines; eating breadfruit on a regular basis can reduce the risk of developing colon cancer.
      Breadfruit benefits the body as it contains favorable amounts of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. These essential fatty acids help the body and mind to develop normally. Fatty acids also stimulate skin and hair growth, regulate our metabolism, promote reproduction and stimulate bone health.
      In addition to these health benefits breadfruit also contains Vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, iron and phosphorus. Further research is being done to uncover even more health benefits of breadfruit."


What nutritious fruit are you enjoying at this time?!




29 comments:

Ann Jones said...

I've never had breadfruit, but it sounds yummy :) Your pics look great! Have a great week!

Unknown said...

Thanks Frugal in WV! A great week to you also.

Monica said...

I'm a new GFC follower from Get Connected Tuesday. I've never had breadfruit, can it be bought most anywhere?

Unknown said...

Thanks Monica. Breadfruit is native to the Malay Peninsula and the western Pacific Islands but is now readily available in tropical regions around the world. I have heard that it can be found in some parts of Florida. Take care.

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

I have never heard of breadfruit. very interesting. looks awesome!

Rainy Kua said...

That's good to hear.:) Even if you can't eat salmon anymore, you can eat breadfruit instead. I've never eaten one though. I don't see it in our market.

Maria said...

i've never tried breadfruit before but it sounds amazing! i love bread...i love fruit...:)
lately i've been craving apples and pumpkin...autumn always makes me want pumpkin anything!
hope you're doing well
lots of love <3
xoxo
maria

Anonymous said...

I've never seen that fruit in real life and I don't think it grows anywhere in the Philippines. But it looks yummy just by the photos. The closest we have is the kamansi.

TanyasTreasureTrove said...

Hi! Following you from a blog hop!:0)
Hope you visit me and return the follow!

Btw if you like please join the Treasure Trove Tribune! I think you will enjoy it!:0)

Unknown said...

I had never even heard of this until I read this post. Interesting!
Now following you from the hop and I would love a follow back over at
http://mizzreviewlady-mommyreviews.blogspot.com/
Thanks :)

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for becoming a Follower and writing these comments Mizzreviewlady. I will definitely follow back. Take care and have a good Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Thanks Tanya, I will follow back! Have a good day.

Unknown said...

Hi Itin, I must do some research on the kamansi. Have a great Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Maria I also love bread and pumpkin. We have pumpkin soup at my home every Saturday. In Jamaica Saturday is a day for soup!:)I have had American apples in the past and love them! Take care and have a good Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Hi cheerfulnuts,Oh yes, I have to stay away from salmon these days but at least I can eat breadfruit!:)Have a wonderful Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Always good to hear from you Melissa! Take care and a good day to you and your family.

May said...

I don't know if this taste like same breadfruit we eat in my country. But it looks like same one I'm talking about in colour, but not in shape. My people value bread fruit a lot because of its nutritional contents. And is very expensive to buy too. Great post.

Unknown said...

Hi May,
It could be the same fruit. Here it is a big round fruit that is green outside. After we roast it the inside is yellow. When it is ripe it is also yellow inside. We cut it in slices. Take care and have a good day.
Judy

:DISTherapy said...

I've never heard of breadfruit! Golly- if you're looking for healthy foods, come check out the cereal recipe I got from Disney... I'm a follower!

Unknown said...

I will check your cereal recipe :DISTherapy. Thanks for becoming a Follower. Have a good Tuesday.

Mouse Fan Diane said...

I have never had breadfruit, looks good. I'm a new follower to your blog from the blog hop. Stop by mine too

http://www.candoitmom.com

Unknown said...

Thank you very much Diane! I will definitely follow back. Take care.

jbmthinks/sportsparenting said...

New follower from blog hop! Please stop by and follow http://jbmthinks.com. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks jbmthinks! I will definitely follow back. Take care and all the best to you.

About JollyJilly said...

I don't think I've every heard to this before would love to try it sometime

Unknown said...

I hope you get to JollyJilly! Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Erin from the Get Wired Hop ... I've yet to try this but it sounds wonderful thank you for sharing!!
www.365changesofme.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by and participating in the Get Wired Wednesday Blog Hop Erin. Take care.

Unknown said...

Thanks Amy! Have a good day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...