Thursday, July 19, 2012

Book Review - Beginning with the End by Mary R. Morgan




   'Beginning with the End' is a compelling book dealing with the loss of one's twin. Author Mary R. Morgan lost her twin Michael Rockefeller in 1961 when he disappeared on an anthropology expedition off the remote coast of New Guinea. As the daughter of then Governor of New York, Mr. Nelson A. Rockefeller, she had to deal with this crisis in the glare of the public eye.
   Throughout the book she gives important insights on the experiences that one encounters following the loss of one's twin. The information will not only resonate with fraternal and identical twinless twins  but anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one. Her personal account of what it means to repress grief over a long period and how the support one gets from family and friends affects an individual is very instructive.
   The need to adjust to life without a twin is dealt with in a detailed manner. The steps she used to achieve this are interesting. I was particularly struck by the use of imagery and the impact of nature.
    Serious food for thought is given to the twinless twin as he/she learns how crucial it is that you do not try to see your twin in another individual as it causes a myriad of problems.  Mary reveals this as she relates how it affected her relationships.
    The feeling of being off balance is an important revelation. Mary’s account is a real eye-opener for those of us who have had a similar experience.
    Her flashback to moments spent with Michael encourages the twinless twin to treasure memories while trying to adjust to a whole new world. Immediately the saying “Once a twin always a twin” comes to mind.
     Mary holds a Masters in Clinical Social Work from Columbia University and has played an important role as psychotherapist to other twinless twins. Of particular note is her assistance to those who became twinless twins following the 9/11 World Trade Center disaster.
     I recommend this book as it offers an unique perspective on loss and grief as well the healing journey that one must take if life is to continue to be meaningful. 

26 comments:

Sandee said...

Sounds like a book everyone should read. Twin or not.

Have a terrific day Judy. :)

Maria said...

great review, judy. i, of course, find comfort in stories of loss. as i know you do too.. i'm so glad you found another wonderful book that you can not only relate to, but find hope and faith in.
i really need to start reading more. i read a lot of blogs and have a few books that have really touched my heart, but it is something i should try and do a little more often. thank you so much for sharing. i hope you're having a wonderful day in jamaica. sending love your way, my friend!! <3
xoxox
maria

Unknown said...

Hi Sandee,
It really was enlightening. I am glad I got the chance to read it. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Judy

Unknown said...

Hi Maria,
Thank you very much. I also find comfort in reading a variety of material about dealing with loss and grief. Twin loss is very complicated and so it is good when I read what other twinless twins write. I know you know what loss is like and I find your posts deep and inspirational. You also inspire me to try to have good times despite the challenges I have encountered in life. Thanks as always for your friendship and good wishes. Do enjoy the rest of your day.
Judy

Unknown said...

sounds like a great book.

www.iheartpears.blogspot.com Have a great day

Unknown said...

For sure Hubba! I also wish you a great day.

Ugochi said...

Hi Judy!
Just stopping by to tell you I nominated you for the Sunshine Award on my blog today! Because I find your blog truly inspiring!Have a great weekend and God bless!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the award and your comments Ugochi. I am glad you find my Blog inspiring and it is good to receive this award again. I also wish you a great weekend and God Bless!

Evie Jay said...

I'm in the middle of this now, but had to stop for a bit until I feel stronger enough to read it. Been in one of those holes, you know? Getting better, though, so I'll finish it soon.

<3

Unknown said...

Hi Evie J,
It is good to hear from you. I fully understand what you mean as you are also a twinless twin. I took my time to read the book until I finished it. I know the holes that you speak about so well. It is not easy to climb out but my thoughts and prayers are with you and you will feel better soon. Take care.
Judy

Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye said...

What a unique and interesting book. I would love to read this. I have twin sisters and one of my twin sisters had twin boys. My mother in law is a twin and my grandmother had twins. They are everywhere!

Unknown said...

Hi Bree,
I note that you have a lot of twins in your family! That is wonderful!:) Have yourself a good weekend.
Judy

Ladies Holiday said...

So powerful...we host a book hop on the first weds of each month. maybe you'd like to link up!

Aloha from the aloha hop!

Marissa Writes said...

Wow, I'd never heard of this book before. So glad you shared - this would be a great addition to my book hop (http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com/2012/07/cozy-book-hop-three.html) if you'd like to share!

Marissa @ forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments Ladies Holiday. For sure I would be happy to link up on your book hop. Take care and have a good weekend.

Beck Valley Books said...

Sounds like my type of book and what a lovely title. Thanks for popping over the Weekly Book Blog Hop xx

Unknown said...

You are welcome Sharon! Have a good weekend.

Unknown said...

Thanks Marissa D! I will definitely add this to your Blog Hop. Have a good weekend.

Claire Justine said...

Hi Judy,great review....I hope your having a lovely weekend :)

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Clairejustine! Have a great weekend!

carol l mckenna said...

Excellent review ~ creative way for healing yourself ~~ thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

Anonymous said...

I am now following you from a Friday blog hop. Please visit me at msqueenfashionista@gmail.com and do the same.

Unknown said...

Thanks ArtMuseDog! Definitely a creative way for healing. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Katie! I will follow back.

Unknown said...

OH Judy, I am so glad you found this book. I am sure it helps so much to be able to connect with someone that relates to what you are going through. Great review:)
As always sending prayers.
Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot Evelyn! It is really good to read what other twinless twins have experienced as it helps me so much in dealing with my situation. I am always happy to share at Freedom Fridays. Have a great week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...